1- 8 1s cross RH and cast 1 place, dance RH across with 3s and end 1M+3L also 1L+3M in prom hold facing out to pass corner person RSh
9-24 All dance 4x½ Reels of 3 on sides (to right to start, then left, right and left) with 1s+3s changing partners in centre at end of each ½ Reel to progress Men clockwise and Ladies anticlockwise. End in centre 1s facing down and 3s facing up
25-32 1s dance between 3s turning 3s with nearer hand 1½ times, crossing over to own sides and turn 4th person 1½ times (Men RH and Ladies LH) 2341
(MINICRIB, Dance Crib compiled by Charles Upton, Deeside Caledonian Society, and his successors)
1-4 1s cross and cast;
5-8 1s3s right hands across;
9-12 1M3L (promenade hold) half reel of 3 on Ls' side WHILE 1L3M half reel of 3 on Men's side (both going to the right);
13-16 repeat with own partners (going to the left);
17-24 repeat bars 9-16 on opposite sides, finishing with 1s facing down between 3s;
25-28 1L3M turn by the right 1½ times WHILE 1M3L turn by the left 1½ times;
29-32 1L4L turn by the left 1½ times WHILE 1M4M turn by the right 1½ times, finishing 2s3s4s1s.
(MAXICRIB, Scottish country dancing instructions compiled by Reuben Freemantle)
9-24 Right with the "wrong partner", left with the right one is a good mnemonic when about to promenade out through the sides.
1M dance clockwise around the whole set starting around 4L's position.
1L dance anti-clockwise around the whole set starting around 1M's position.
Half reels with a promenading "couple" are difficult to make neat; corners must be especially helpful.
Cover should be diagonally.
-28 3s finish in 2nd place.
Until the early 1970s there was large apiary which was well known in the region and has lived on in the Scottish country dance "The Bees of Maggieknockater". The meaning of Maggieknockater is "field of the fuller" or "plain of the hilly ridge" and has nothing to do with a woman called Maggie.
At nearby Gauldwell Castle (now only with one partial wall left standing) Mary Queen of Scots is reputed to have spent the night. The school was closed in the 1960s and the chapel was turned into a home in the early 1970s. What was once a smithy is now a garage still in the hands of the MacLean family. Maggieknockater formerly had a post office; it opened in June 1876 and closed in 1940.